Thursday, November 04, 2004

Process - Finding a Groove

I decided to sit down and just write. First thing in the morning is pretty good for that - I don't stop too long to think about what I'm going to write. I just take whatever I've processed from the night before and dump it out.

Man, this is sure to be total crap! I'm still trying to decide how much I care about that. Part of me really gets that this is what this whole process is supposed to be about, not worrying about how bad it is. And part of me really does want for it to be good anyway.

Tough, I guess... show some spine & deal with it.

So - research in the afternoon/evening, sleep on it, wake up first thing and write, then do what I want or need to for the rest of the day. I can go for that.

Did I mention I love the boat-anchor laptop? Now that it's charged, the battery even still works. I can be anywhere now. And I can't be online with it. This is great. I still don't know yet how I'm going to get what I've written back to this computer (and hence, into the blog). Hopefully I can get myself motivated to work out that issue soon.

In the meantime, Scout (as I'm calling her temporarily) is busy hooking up with a bartender she met when she and a friend from work went out dancing after their shifts. Probably not love at first sight, but there's definitely something there and he seems decent enough so far anyway.

Yesterday, I started working on two different scenes - one about her starting a new job and the other a flashback of sorts to when she was younger, living with her sister and brother-in-law and he started making some moves on her while his wife was away. At just shy of 700 words, though, for both, I didn't get very far into either one.

I wonder if it's normal to be hopscotching around scenes like this? I'd love to be writing sequentially so that when I actually do start posting results here, it could read sort of like a serial novel. If I create a table of contents and link to the various posts in proper order (once I figure out what that order is), that might be good enough. Hey, this is an experiment.

And now that I've put in decent enough time on the experiment for today (and I might still do more later; I just don't feel the pressure any longer to figure out how I'm going to fit more in), I can now concentrate on spending some time with my mother on her birthday. Happy Birthday, Mom!

Daily Total - 1343
Running Total - 3780

Average WPD - 1260

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home